2006-11-10

Joslin's Canadian Open Grappling Championships

This Sunday I will be competing in my first martial arts tournament. I've been training in Jiu Jitsu for about 7 months now and will be entering the beginner (<1yr training) division in the 155lb (I hope) weight class. I will be fighting in both the gi and no-gi tournaments.

Joslin's is the biggest tournament of it's kind in Ontario, and perhaps Canada. There will be people coming up from the United States to compete too. Also worth noting is that it's not a Jiu Jitsu tournament specifically. It's a "grappling" tournament so there will be Greco-Roman Wrestling, Judo, perhaps Aikido etc. competing directly.

I'm a little worried since I haven't been able to train for more than about 3hrs/week and the school I attend hasn't focused a whole lot on competition. I have no delusions of winning anything, but I will be extrememly happy to at least win a fight or two (it's single elimination and I want my money's worth) but will be more than satisfied if I can just lose by points as opposed to being submitted. My brother will also be competing in the intermediate divisions. Wish me luck. While you're at it wish me not-to-get-injured too.

I'll post a picture or two afterwards, even if they're a little humiliating.