Monday, May 19, 2008

Dark Void in the media

Finally, real coverage of our game is beginning to surface in the media. Electronic Gaming Monthly (EGM) and its companion website, 1up.com, have been the first to start publishing previews of Dark Void.

There's a three page spread in the June 2008 issue of EGM, and 1up.com is featuring our game on the front page of their site with a new article every day this week. Today's article is "Eight things you need to know about Dark Void." This is just beginning and there will certainly be much more coverage before too long. There was a previous "debut" trailer making the rounds, but as you can now see, much progress has been made since then. It's exciting to know that people are seeing the work we've done. I hope people like it, but I know how hot/cold people can be when posting comments online. I think it's going to be a fun game when it's done, but for now I'm just having fun making it.

Below are a few screenshots of animations that I worked on, but don't hold it against me. They're still W.I.P

3 comments:

  1. Cool! I'll keep an eye out for this game. Can't wait to see what you did for it! So how do you like animatin' for games, btw?

    -TJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey TJ!

    I'm loving it so far. I think I work much better when I have a bunch of bite-sized tasks to complete as opposed to one giant task. Animating for games seems to fit that workflow better than animating for film. When you put a new piece of animation in the game you feel a real sense of accomplishment because now every time someone performs that move they see your cool animation. The flip side of course, is that I wish I had more time to really finish my sequences. Another down side is that after spending all that love and creativity on your beautiful transition animation you find out down the line that they've changed the way that gameplay mechanic works and now you have to completely change it. Every form of animation has it's share of do-overs though, so it's just something you learn to live with.

    The most important thing is that I feel a lot more excited about making this game than I did about making a movie like Alvin. I can sit through Alvin and it has a few charming moments, but this game on the other hand is something I can't wait to play. I feel more ownership of it because the entire team is much more interactive and collaborative. I talk to programmers all the time and I see the progress they're making along with the environment artists, effects artists, and level designers. We work together so that their work makes my work look better, and vice versa.

    That, and I'm enjoying the green spaces in Redmond a lot more than the asphalt and desert of Los Angeles. There's more to a job than just the job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to hear, Tim! You've summed up a lot of my thoughts as well. Yeah, although I'll always seem to want more time to polish, it is pretty satisfying to have your animation play everytime that controller button is pressed! I also really like the fact that even though you're an animator on the team, you can still be involved in the creation of gameplay and the "fun-factor". As far as I could remember, I was playing video games as a kid--never thought I'd be able to actually help make them! :) I'm pretty thankful!

    I'd still be interested in trying film work one of these days (if I'm lucky enough) as I'm sure there are definite rewards with those projects (like getting to super-polish a shot that will be seen on the big-screen!)

    Anyway, happy animatin' man!

    ReplyDelete