2010-03-12

Creative Drawing

Drawing is hard for several reasons, but one of the reasons is that it's often hard to decide what to draw. Being loose and creative is easier said than done. I'm starting to look into ways to keep the pressure off and try to keep my logical left-brain out of the mix. Here are a couple of things I've found so far:
Keys to Drawing from Imagination
I borrowed this book from the library and though I only got through the first couple of chapters before I had to return it, I liked where it was going. The first step is to "doodle with purpose." It's easy to do and it makes a great warm up exercise. Parka has a great review of this book here. Actually, if you like art-of books or instructional art books Parka is a great blog to subscribe to.
Alchemy
This is an open source drawing application that is specifically designed to engage your right-brain. It has tools to automatically mirror and even a random brush that creates unexpected shapes that can then inspire you to follow a direction you would never have thought of on your own. It's a bit hard to explain in words so check out this video of Alchemy in action if you're interested:



There are quite a few examples from users on YouTube.